- PCIT is a specialized treatment program designed for caregivers and their young children (ideally 2.5 to 6.5 years old) who are experiencing social, behavioral, and/or emotional difficulties.
- The model focuses on key foundational life skills through attachment and social learning.
- Teaches caregivers specific behavior management skills as they interact with child(ren).
What makes this approach different?
- Model is practical as it consists of real-time, therapist-coached interactions between parents and children that are embedded within the therapy sessions. Therapist observes play interaction through a computer monitor or two-way mirror, utilizing an earpiece to coach caregiver(s) as they learn new ways to help child(ren) manage behaviors.
- PCIT utilizes play to connect caregiver to child.
- PCIT IS FUN & PRACTICAL!
Is PCIT a good fit for my family?
- Feeling exhausted and overwhelmed by your child's behaviors?
- Feeling frustrated or angry with your child(ren)?
- Feeling like your child is out of control much of the time?
- Feeling embarrassed and helpless about child’s behaviors, especially in public places such as school or daycare?
- Do you struggle to receive support from others due to child's behaviors?
- Current behavioral management techniques aren’t effective or long lasting?
- Do you have a desire to learn skills or tools to deal with behavior challenges?
What is the typical commitment to successfully complete treatment?
The average length of treatment varies between 12 and 20 sessions. Variables are based on each family's needs. Families may be able to complete treatment in less than 12 sessions.
At least one active caregiver must be available for weekly 45-60 minute sessions (typically in office).
Caregiver(s) are expected to engage in home opportunities in between sessions to maximize the program and experience the best outcomes. Graduation from treatment depends on caregiver(s) ability to display mastery of PCIT skills in session. Practice...Practice...Practice is a must!
(704) 284-7330 | firstname.lastname@example.org